Thursday, December 16, 2010

White Elephant

Christmas is a time for many things.One of my favorites are white elephant gift exchanges.
Now for those of you who do not know what a white elephant gift exchange is, The point of it is just to have fun, NOT to get a great gift. Everyone brings a gift. Then by varying methods everyone gets to pick one of the gifts. The twist is the fact that you can steal someones gift on your turn and others can steal yours. On top of all this, in my family this game means wild, wacky, junkie, non useful gifts. Which makes for some wonderful laughs.
Now, in the Morse family this means finding something in the garage. One year I was invited to a white elephant party and we had several HUGE squash, so I wrapped it up and took it. Everyone else brought really nice gifts, like chocolate. And I had brought a squash. I felt really bad. But I will say that it was really funny when the girl opened it and it was a squash!
I believe that our family has gained a reputation for amazing white elephant gifts.
Mom and Dad have given 1 pound of carabau in beer, a live chicken, a snow globe with no glass globe, and a counterfeit 500 peso bill.
As kids we have received or given, a duck wing and foot, a squash, broken pottery from Israel.
The other night Nathaniel and I went to a white elephant gift exchange. Nate took an old hurricane lamp that he couldn't figure out how to get the oil in. (The "lid" would com off) And I took a collection of old videos. I had wanted to take the old rusty log holder from our fireplace, that is no longer in use but, we couldn't find it.
Nathaniel came home with a Ferbie. Those things are the most annoying toys EVER!

1 comment:

  1. Heeheehee. My family used to do white elephant gifts, they can be pretty funny. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I always enjoy reading your comments on my post.